Sunday, May 13, 2012

 Mother's Day! :) What a wonderful Sunday! I had a great day at church, then went to Aunt Kara and Uncle Corb's gorgeous house for dinner with a bunch of relatives. This is a picture of us playing volleyball on their tennis courts. It was lovely :)


So since it's Mother's Day, I only feel it appropriate to write a little about my own Mom :)
I was facebook-stalking my Mom, trying to find a picture to put on here when I found this little picture, apparently from college freshman year! (This is her when she was about my age) She's the one on the left. Isn't she absolutely gorgeous?? How the heck did my Dad manage to get a girl like her?? I have no idea, but its worked out well for everyone in the end :) 


I am regrettably one of the many who never gives my Mom enough appreciation. I feel bad because I need one or two days set aside each year to really realize how much she has done for me. But I plan to take advantage of those days, and really focus on working more to appreciate all that she does and has done for me.

My Mom is incredibly talented. She was Oregon's Junior Miss not too long ago, and I'm told was an incredible dancer. And, as seen above, she was (and still is) absolutely stunning. She was very academically talented, and was a cheer-leader back in high school. Everybody loves her. She is also very spiritual, attending to her church callings with over a hundred percent effort, magnifying every calling she receives. She is always concerned for other people- checking up on people and going out of her way to help in any way she can. She truly cares for each individual she comes in contact with.

My Mom is very talented at being a mom (even though I'm sure she would insist otherwise). She has spent the last 19 years caring for every need of each of her 5 children, and putting them above herself. Piano lessons, sport practices, doctor's visits, church activities, etc. She went out of her way to allow each of us to do whatever it is we wanted to do. She came to everything. She has 5 kids, each involved in many activities, and somehow, she managed to make it to everything. Every choir concert, every track meet, every performance and activity. I have no idea how she did it, honestly. I remember my Mom drove 3 hours out of her way to watch one 65-second race of mine. I insisted that she didn't need to come. One-and-a-half hours each way is a long drive just for one race. But she didn't listen to me and came anyway because she wanted to support me. What a sweetheart.

She was always up every morning by 5:45am so she could see me out the door on my way to seminary. A good majority of the time, she would even prepare a smoothie for me to run out the door with. When I forgot lunches, checks, books, or gym clothes, she would bring them to me at school. And often-times, they came with a sweet little note. Our family never ate out, and we never really had to resort to any frozen dinners. My Mom had home-cooked dinners every night. Crock-pot, oven, left-overs, whatever- we always had a home-cooked dinner. Even if I had a choir concert practice that started at like 5, she would make a special effort to be sure I had a good dinner prepared before I left.

Being a mother of 5, my Mom also had to put up with a lot of attitude and very little appreciation. More of that from me than I would like to admit. But she loved me every step of the way, whether I liked it or not. There were many regrettable times when I would treat her poorly, but she would still love me and do all she could to make my life easier, despite my attitude.
I used to get mad at my Mom a lot for some really stupid things. We were constantly disagreeing on clothes (that's too short, that has holes in it, that's not nice enough, etc). But I have come to appreciate the habits she instilled in me to always look and dress my best- to always look nice, and modest.
I would get mad at my Mom for continually asking or reminding me to vacuum, do the dishes, or fold the towels. But it has created a habit in me (that I'm still working to develop on my own) to be clean, and always try to make sure everything was 'spotless'.
Those are only 2 of many examples... :P
So here are the 3 words I'm sure every parent loves to hear from their child: YOU WERE RIGHT. Yes, you win. :) Thanks.

My Mom is always looking out for me. She keeps an eye out for things I might be interested in, like some cute skirts, a neat opportunity, or someone I could remember. And she would always follow up with me later.

Although I never really took advantage of it, my Mom has a lot of good advice and ideas to help me out with things. I remember on our way to and from a Miche show I helped her put on, we just talked about a bunch of stuff. I don't recall what it was exactly, but it was nice to have that connection with her and learn from what she had to say and teach me.

My Mom was always a support to me. I remember I had what was probably the worst day at school ever (drama. disgusting.) I walked in the door, and she didn't say a thing. She just came over and hugged me while I cried it out. She told me to take a break- she would cover my chores while I went and took a walk. I didn't have to say a thing- she already understood. My Mom is also incredibly spiritual. She has an amazing testimony and knowledge of the Gospel, and it shows in everything she does.

Many people throughout the years have commented on how amazing my Mom really is. I would usually just nod in agreement. It wasn't until I moved out and moved away that I realized truly how incredible of a woman she is. There's that old saying that goes, 'you don't know what you have until it's gone'. Even though my Mom isn't gone (she's just a state over), I still have realized, being away from her, how much of an impact she really was (and still is) on my life. And I regret the fact that it took me until then to really appreciate who she is in my life.

So, here's to my Mom- one of the most beautiful and amazing people I have ever had the privilege of coming into contact with. Her sweet spirit and influence on my life has been utterly indescribable, and much more than I can comprehend. I am so grateful to my Heavenly Father for blessing me to be the daughter of that incredible woman, and hope that someday I can be even half the woman she is.

I love you Mom :) 


Yeah, I still have no idea how Dad got her.... ;)

1 comment:

  1. What a nice tribute to your mother. Thank you!

    Also, what do you mean you have no idea how I got her??? I used to be cool too:)

    ReplyDelete