General Conference! Wohoo! Lauren and I went to John's house to watch the Saturday sessions :)
He had a hammock in the backyard I was pretty excited about.
Another future-husband picture:
Then later that day, Lauren and I drove down to Nana and Papa's to stay the night. I wanted to cut my split ends super bad, but didn't have my scissors with me. So I cut my split ends with my mini pink Swiss Army knife. Lauren thought it was funny so she took a picture... (you can see her there in the mirror :))
Another thing happened today. Today was the day that President Monson made the announcement that they were lowering the missionary age: from 19 to 18 for the guys, and from 21 to 19 for the girls. For people in my age range, that was a pretty big announcement. For me individually that was a big announcement for many reasons.
About 8 months ago, I was trying to figure out where to move for housing. I found the perfect place to live with 5 other girls from my dorms I absolutely adored. However, it depressingly enough fell-through and all of us ended up having to split up and find somewhere to live on our own. I found an apartment south of campus that seemed good enough but had a very blunt spiritual prompting that led me to the Fall-only contract I got at the Riviera.
Fall-only contract... I thought I was getting it so I would be able to leave and go to BYU Study Abroad Jerusalem winter semester. I wanted to go so bad! When I got the news that I wasn't accepted, I was confused and pretty sad about it. But figured I would just apply to summer semester and make it work out.
Since I didn't get into Jerusalem Study Abroad, I looked into my Nursing Application and found out that I had enough time to still turn in an application to start Winter Semester. I filled it out and had it turned in right on time. But I had to prepare my mid-term grades to be turned in at midterm time because those were the grades for the semester they would use to determine whether or not I would be accepted. However, looking at my ever-declining Chemistry grade, the likelihood of me being accepted would be slim. That slim chance decreased to an absolute zero a couple weeks later, after my midterm, looking at my grade and seeing it well below not just the desired limit, but also the minimum limit. There was no way I could get into Nursing next semester.
Those were the major surface reasons.
Between both sets of grandparents, I have gained a strong appreciation for missionaries and a great desire to serve. My Nana and Papa went to France, Hong Kong, and Lebanon as well as a couple at-home missions. My Grandma and Grandpa went to Mississippi to serve as Mission President. In 3 of those 4 missions, I was able to visit them as missionaries. And in all 4+ cases I was able to witness and appreciate the benefits of serving a mission, both for those at home, and those abroad. I have had these incredible examples in my life, and for as long as I can remember, serving a mission was something I wanted to do.
This desire only increased as I went to BYU Freshman year. I was around so many faithful, willing and dedicated future missionaries and their excitement and willingness to serve only rubbed off on me more and more. I remember David and I talked about it often. I would always tell him how jealous I was of him that he was able to go. On a couple occasions, I even remember telling him specifically that I wish I could go now, just like him and so many of my other friends. But that opportunity was not given to me. I had to wait (at the time) 3 years for that opportunity. And even then, the likelihood of me being married by then, or deeply invested in my education would hold me back from going. That being said, I would always just tell people that I would go on a mission with my husband when we get old, like my grandparents.
Recently, I have also had a great feeling and desire just to leave my college/working life as I know it to go somewhere to help someone. That's why I took Spanish 101 this semester, and why I got my CNA. I looked into so many opportunities. I just wanted to leave and have a humanitarian adventure somewhere.
So that is where the announcement found me. Every plan for
next semester had literally been shattered. I didn't have an apartment
contract. I didn't get accepted to Study Abroad. My Nursing application
was just not going to happen. The opportunity that seemed decades in the future was suddenly at my doorstep. Literally. I could watch the next General Conference on my mission. I could start my papers a whole like 4 months ago. I am there now.
The question that remains is.... will I go? My response at this time is: most likely. But let's be honest.... it seems as though the Lord has made the answer pretty obvious. My life has been paved for this. My past few months have been in preparation for this. My answer has pretty much already been given.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment