Tuesday, September 11, 2012






Here is my Ref Uniform and whistle! This job is definitely different than my Insurance Claims Processor job I had over the summer. Actually, this job is different than any job I've ever really had. With virtually every job I've ever had, I've been in my own world in the back corner of an office filing papers. This job, I am the one that judges games and is in a position of authority and I am in the spotlight. And if I mess up, everyone knows. And even if I don't mess up, people can disagree with me and not like me :P That means, that I am put out of my comfort zone, and there is a big learning curve to it. Training was last week, but it was really only one night, and then they threw me in to ref men's volleyball games. It's kind of terrifying. Especially when they disagree with your calls but volleyball is the easiest sport as far as that goes- you don't get too many people arguing with you.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that I love my job, but it is hard and it's hard to adjust and learn. I like to be good at the things I do. But when I'm not good at it, I can get frustrated with myself, because I expect better of myself. That's when this job helps me learn things about myself. That's when I learn how to be more patient with myself. I know that I can be excellent at this job. But I'm not there yet, and I shouldn't expect that of myself now. I mean, come on I just started! So that is where patience and willingness to learn and strive to do better stuff kicks in. :)

On that lovely note, I gave out a yellow card tonight! Which never happens in volleyball. Actually, another one of the ref's saw the guy arguing with me and came over himself to give the guy a yellow card. The nice thing about this job is that when I know I'm right, people can't argue with me about it, and I can stand my ground. That guy was just a punk- arguing about net calls and finding ways to blame the other team for stuff. Apparently, he is no stranger to yellow cards in the Intramural Program :P But yeah, that was fun.

Oh and another fun thing about this job is that I got a date out of it! Last week, a guy I work with (Ryan) set me up with his friend Austin to go on a date this Saturday, which I'm super excited about. :)

But yeah, I love my job. It's definitely not insurance claims processing! Every time I officiate men's volleyball games, I have near-death experiences. Those guys can hit hard! Geez! But it's a blast :) My boss is awesome, the people I work with are awesome, the players are fun, and I definitely have room for improvement!

No comments:

Post a Comment